The FIU Parent & Family Council creates the opportunity for parents and families to build strong relationships across the panther community. The Council has been responsible for raising thousands of dollars. These funds supported professional development opportunities for our students, helped to fund university priorities, and most recently aided students in crisis during the pandemic. Additionally, the group has hosted a variety of networking events for parents and families to be engaged with our FIU. With the support of new members, the Council will continue its work in raising philanthropic awareness and helping FIU reach the Next Horizon.
Be a part of the FIU Parent & Family Council
Parents and Families are invited to join a network of individuals who work to advocate for students and increase the awareness of parent philanthropy and engagement through their leadership, philanthropy, and volunteerism to FIU. Interested in learning more or have questions? Email PFCouncil@fiu.edu.
Parent & Family Council Expectations
- Make an annual philanthropic donation to the university of $1,000 or more. The contribution would support the fund that the Council has chosen as the priority for the current fiscal year. Parent & Family Council members are also asked to consider a legacy contribution during or after their tenure on the Council.
- Provide feedback and engage in discussions on University priorities with Foundation staff and leadership.
- Attend university events, receptions, and/or other gatherings.
- Encourage other parents, friends, and your student to participate in Give 305 Day the University’s giving day effort, and other philanthropic opportunities.
- Facilitate communication among parents in social networks.
Other Opportunities to Volunteer For
- Serve as a parent/family ambassador at receptions for both prospective and admitted families in your area.
- Welcome incoming families to FIU by connecting with new FIU families in your area or by participating in the annual Freshmen Convocation President’s Welcome Reception
- Thank other parent donors who make annual gifts to FIU.
- Leverage corporate relationships to create career pathways for students.
- Mentor a student.
- Identify and encourage other prospective families to join the FIU Parent & Family Council.
Council Members Can Expect
- Meaningful impact through philanthropy and engaged volunteerism.
- Close connections with university staff, leadership, and other FIU parents and families.
- To build community with fellow parents and families through outreach, regional events, and on-campus opportunities.
- The opportunity to educate your FIU student on giving back through your example.